Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thread Sketching


Soon after I started my sewing journey, I discovered a completely new method of sewing and using thread.  It’s called Free Hand Embroidery or Thread Sketching depending on who you talk to.  I was instantly fascinated and began to learn more about it. It seems like the sky is the limit when it comes to Thread Sketching. You can embellish pretty much anything from t-shirts, to onesies to bags.  This is one of the first video tutorials I found and I absolutely love this idea! Girl Popcorn aka Julie Dunbar explains how to free hand embroider on a t-shirt. 



You can even create art! Jessica over at Running With Scissors posted this tutorial on how she created European Thread Sketches as totally awesome artwork for her home.

Pay no attention to the wear and tear! Just look at the pig! :-)
Of course, being the type who jumps in with both feet, I went out and bought loads of sharpies, tracing paper and scoured the internet for this particular free motion presser foot I would need.  Then I started experimenting. I thread sketched pens/pencils (don’t ask), a piggy for my pencil case, --------------->
an elephant and I even tried a picture of Obama! My roomie told me it looked like a regular ol’ white dude so I guess it wasn’t all that great, but it was fun!


It opened up a whole new world for me. I even found this talented chick, Rosie G whose entire business is based on Free Hand Embroidery and she seems like she’s doing pretty well for herself.

I definitely plan on incorporating Thread Sketching into my products this upcoming year, but of course, it won’t be your ordinary, run of the mill stuff. I’ll have to put some funk on it!  Stay tuned!

Keep It Funky!
Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment